Monday, September 10, 2007

I'm rooting for them... I really am

Today we get a little more info on Saab's upcoming Turbo X version of the 9-3. This car will be the debut of sorts for the new XWD system, even though you'll be able to get it on regular 9-3 Aeros eventually. Saab is in a pretty meager state of affairs right now, but those who've sampled this new all-wheel drive system are pretty taken by it, claiming that it effectively quells the significant understeer common to this chassis. The standout feature being an electronically controlled limited-slip differential fitted at the rear that properly distributes torque to the outside wheel in corners, similar in effect to Acura's highly praised SH-AWD. The 2.8L turbocharged V6 that's been around for a year or so has already proven itself a strong performer. It was even chosen as one of Ward's Ten Best Engines of 2006 (a honor shared by my GTI's FSI Turbo 4-blaster btw;) The new drivetrain looks promising so hopefully they've finally gotten it right. The only botch I see is that the US market Turbo X won't be available with the attractively distinctive 19" alloys fitted to the car pictured below. We instead get undoubtedly dumber 18s.

I've always had a soft spot for the 9-3... in particular the slick Sportcombi wagon. There's something cool about Saab, even if the 9-3 is this only Saab that has it. The archaic 9-5 is a turd that needs to be flushed, and the 9-7x... well, who cares. The 9-3 so far has never really stacked up well against its competitors on paper, or the road. Still, every time I sit in one I want it a little bit. Or maybe I just want to want it. Like I said, I'm rooting for them...

[Source: TrollhattanSaab.net via Autoblog]


1 comment:

Terry G. said...

I share your sentiment. I don't know if it's the GM ownership, or the general product neglect, or the lack of panache, but Saabs just can't catch a break. I sometimes wish I wanted one more, if only to preserve the brand and encourage greater competition in the marketplace. Still, my benchmark will always be this: for the same money, would I get a BMW instead? For the Turbo X, my usual resounding "damn right" slides down to a "probably." It's a start...